- Padouk has a scientific name of Pterocarpus marcocarpus, family Fabaceae.
- Padouk is a large woody trunk. The average height of the barwood is about 30 – 35 meters. The diameter can be reached 100 centimeters. The stump has buttress, the bark is gray, splitted and rough. The layer of bark is yellow and thick. Wood resin is red. The double leaf is feather-shaped. The flowers are yellow and grow in cluster. The tree grows slowly
- Padouk is in Group 1A, which is rare and high valued wood, scented, hard and heavy.
How To Distinguish Padouk:
- Color: the heartwood is dard red, the sapwood is light yellow, thick and excrete red resin.
- Wood texture: wood grains fine, high density, heavy and hard.
- Aroma: the wood has a slight aroma, however, after get treated by PU, there is no scent.
The Advantages Of Padouk:
- High hardness and durability of the Padouk make the wood stand well with strong collision, water resistance, the thick wood texture is good for long-term use.
- Termite resistance
- No warps and splits
- Be able to carve nicely and smoothly complicated detail designs.
Disadvantages of Padouk:
- Because there are many advantages and belong to Group 1A, which is for rare and high valued timber, so the cost of Padouk is expensive.
- Consuming a lot of time to carve because of its weight and hardness.
- Plant in parks and botanical gardens to create shade and fresh air for residential life.
- Make furniture such as drawers, wardrobe, chairs and tables and other art work.